The Intuitive Reasonings of Jessica

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

An Ambitious Undertaking

I have embarked upon an ambitious undertaking to read a long book Kara has recommended by the title of The Fellowship of the Ring. This book is probably quite familiar to most of you, even if solely by association with the movie of the same name. However, unlike most of you, I am an anomaly in that I have never seen the movie (with the exception of the first twenty minutes of it which I viewed at the Wegeners' lovely abode some weeks ago). Therefore, the plot and characters are all quite new to me. Nonetheless, I am ascertaining it to be rather enjoyable and well-written.

I personally find it rather agreeable to read a book before seeing the movie based upon it. This allows the reader to discover the characters on his own without his understanding of the story being marred by possibly incompetent actors who may misrepresent the story. (Not having seen the film The Fellowship of the Ring, I am in no way criticizing it.) After having seen a movie, it is often impossible for one to completely free oneself from the movie director's interpretation of the story and approach the actual book with an open mind so as to understand it just as the author intended it to be understood. For example, in the book Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I understood the character "Mary" to be a plain girl. However, in the five-hour version of the movie, she is portrayed as exceptionally ugly (no offense to the actress; I’m sure those zits were fake). Those who saw the movie before reading the book would probably overlook the fact that the book merely describes her as "plain" because they had already been ingrained that Mary is downright ugly. I also don't recall any reference to Mary having ill singing skills in the book, but I am hesitant to say so as I read it rather cursorily in high school and may be mistaken.

Another problem with seeing a movie before reading the book is that often the story is "Hollywood-ized". For example, in the film A Walk to Remember several details are changed from the original book (which I consider to be far superior) to make a better movie. Someone who sees the movie and then reads the book might consider the book to be in error simply because he had first heard the story a different way, when in reality the movie was the one at fault.

Once again, for those of you who missed it the first time I said it, I am in no way criticizing the film The Fellowship of the Ring AND I have not yet seen it (except for the very beginning). However, I would like to say that despite still being in the first chapter of the book, I have already ascertained that it is a book that would be exceedingly difficult to make a film out of, even with a Hollywood budget. Therefore, any decent attempt at creating a movie about the book would be quite commendable although I doubt that the movie holds true to the book in every respect as that would be near impossible.
Jessica 9:29 PM

9 Comments:

So you liked the first five pages?
Actually, I didn't enjoy the first five pages very much because I was not yet acquainted with the characters and therefore found it somewhat confusing. However, the following pages have been quite enjoyable so far.
I totally agree with your sentiment regarding reading books before watching the film. The reason books work so well is that the author allows you to use your imagination. Once you see the movie, your internal image is kind of 'directed' by how the film portrayed the story.

I've not watched Pride and Prejudice as yet, but have read the book. And I'm so glad I read Walk to Remember first. It's tons better, even though the film is still a tear-jerker on it's own.

Just keep in mind how limiting film is...the best books-to-film are short stories, cause there are just enough details that will fit into a reasonable length film. See The Polar Express, Minority Report and The Time Machine as examples (that I can think of quickly).
One of the most discouraging things to hear when speaking of a great book (like Fellowship of the Ring) is "Oh yeah, I saw the movie." Glad you're reading it. Enjoy! (He uses good words, too - being a philologist.)
he does use nice words :-). i'm enjoying it.
I am sure your vocabulary is being expounded exponentially. Your burgeoning abundance of superfluous monickers for plebian words is greatly amusing me. Have a nice day :-)
lol sara.

I'm glad you're finally reading it Jessica. Are you planning on watching the movie afterwards??
sara, my vocabulary is not increasing as exponentially as i would like since i (quite unfortunately) don't have a dictionary. and ellie, i think i might watch the movie afterwards since so many of my friends have recomended it. however, i would like to finish the book first.
Who does paper dictionaries anymore? I haven't used a paper dictionary or thesaurus or concordance since... I can't remember. Try this awesome link: www.dictionary.com.

Add a comment

free counter
Chadwick's Discount Code