The Intuitive Reasonings of Jessica

Monday, November 06, 2006

A Problem

Every week college students across the nation bust their brains out Monday through Friday studying and doing homework. The natural corollary of this soporific cycle is a universal day of slumbering come Saturday. The archetypical student is seldom out of bed before noon on Saturday.

Sleeping in on Saturdays in itself is innocuous; however it can have detrimental effects on the subsequent day of the week. According to Deuteronomy 5:13-14, the Sabbath is a day of rest. God commands us to work for six days and rest of the seventh. However, with Saturday preceding Sunday, this is exigent for college students to accomplish. By the time Sunday evening comes about, most of us inadvertently end up doing homework. This is a deplorable way to end the Sabbath.

My initial solution to this quandary was simply to switch Saturday and Sunday on the calendar. A quick call to all the calendar manufacturers, as well as the makers of the Mortar Boardâ„¢ would easily restore the Sabbath to its original intent.

However, on second thought, I found this to be slightly unfeasible. It could also result in widespread befuddlement. Due to this possibility, I shall now present a better solution. All universities who have any respect for God's apodictic will should move class days from Monday through Friday to Tuesday through Saturday. This will allow students to rest on the Sabbath and still manage to complete all assignments as the weekend draws to a close on Monday night. My dear readers, write to your university's president today and initiate some changes for the glory of God!
Jessica 1:28 PM

3 Comments:

Now that's a creative solution. =)
My dear Jessica, I love the word "befuddlement" but the rest of your post is not quite as wonderful.

God didn't say to have a weekend. He said to have six days of work, including Saturday, and ONE day of rest. The human body is fully capable of this. Thus Saturday is supposed to be just one more day of work, only better because the homework, being uninterupted by attendance of classes, can be accomplished quickly enough to have some fun as well, if time is wisely spent.

I also challenge your "archetypical" student. I am always out of bed before noon on Saturday. Often, before ten; sometimes, before seven (when I have to work) or before 8:30 or nine (when I want to run). If you were awake you would perhaps observe these habits in me.

So, I propose thusly...wear yourself out during the week as is inevitable, take a break and have some fun Friday night, but Saturday, getting crackin'. If there is a large amount of work, you will have to devote all of Saturday to this. If it is a more reasonable load, fun may be had on Saturday evening as well. You should be perfectly equipped to serve God (and rest) on Sunday. I have found this system to work remarkably well, except on those occasions when I mess up and plan things for all of Saturday. I venture to propose that even though you have two studio art classes, on the basis that you a) have 3 less credit hours than I do, b) do not have a job, and c) are not in any honors or 300 level classes, you should be well able to follow this model. I am more than willing to function as an alarm for you on Saturday mornings, and since I suspect part of your problem may lie here, I am also willing to forcibly place you in bed at a decent hour on Friday nights.

All my love,
Sara
I think Geneva once had a rule that no tests could be scheduled for Mondays, and breaks included at least a half-day off on Monday so folks wouldn't be traveling on the Sabbath. But no more.

You have a wise sister.

Add a comment

free counter
Chadwick's Discount Code