The Intuitive Reasonings of Jessica

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Reality

Many freshmen enter Purdue University thinking that they are guaranteed a career after studying for four years. I am sorry to admit I was one of them. I have since come to realize that a college degree (especially one in Liberal Arts) is by no means a free ticket to a good salary. The ultimate blow came several weeks ago at work. I was at the pizza station, and the head pizza man was making small talk with me to pass the time. He asked me what I was studying, and I said graphic design. "Oh, that's what I studied when I was in college!" he smiled. I had trouble returning his smile. Is this what I am headed for in three years?

But, after some more thought, he seems happy. He spends his days dreaming up new kinds of pizza (like chicken broccoli cheddar, which he contrived the day that I worked with him) and his nights doing things I disapprove of.

I wouldn't mind working in the food industry after I graduate. In fact, I would rather enjoy being a waitress at Cracker Barrel. That's what I've wanted to do since I was quite young, in fact. Furthermore, working in an office in the city has always been unappealing to me.

So, am I wasting time and money here? I like being here--I love the Lafayette RPC, I love our close-knit CORPS community, and I love how it only takes 20 minutes to bike out to the country. I love how it's free to ride the bus. I love showing my college ID for discounts at Goodwill. I love how when I take weekend road trips, my biggest worry is who's going to feed Charlie when I'm gone. Overall, being a college student is a fairly happy experience. But is it worth it?
Jessica 11:44 PM

6 Comments:

The food service industry isn't so bad ;-) Seriously, though, if you'd like to talk about it you should call any evening you have open, becuase I think there's a lot of point to studying liberal arts aside from the employment possibilities (which aren't great).

And cheddar broccoli chicken pizza sounds fabulous. You're reverting to your pre-Shingle Paradise food cowardace ;-)
I didn't say that chicken broccoli cheddar pizza sounds bad at all! In fact, if he actually made it, I would most certainly try it.

And I would love to talk to you some time when I am free. I have a busy week, though--perhaps I can call you on Saturday or Sunday, or Friday after Navs.
I had the exact same experience with my boss at the car wash when I was in history the first time. Suffice to say it was a shocker.
Whereas every single person I have ever met who's studying Organizational Communication has been a grad student on the road to doctorateship....what does that mean? I don't really care to be Professor Young.
It's ok, honey. We'll both graduate with our useless degrees, get married, and live happily ever after. :-)
Life is so easy for girls...

Add a comment

free counter
Chadwick's Discount Code