The Intuitive Reasonings of Jessica

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Invaluable Things I Learn at School

Today I worked with a Spanish guy who spoke little English. This was not much of a problem, as we were able to work out a sort of sign language to convey when we needed more meatballs, or how many minutes the broccoli should be steamed for, or that we were out of pasta. However, when he pointed to the imaginary watch on his wrist to ask me what time I get off, he was unable to comprehend when I said "two-thirty." I couldn't think of any way to communicate the time non-verbally, and he confusedly asked "Three?"

Suddenly, I remembered all of Professora Assad's lessons from Spanish 101, and said "dos y media", and he understood immediately. All the people who think education is a waste for a future Cracker Barrel waitress are eminently mistaken, as I will no doubt encounter many more Spanish speakers at that fine restaurant. And, my dear readers, this is only one example as to why my education is exceedingly useful. I have also learned many invaluable lessons in Psychology 120, not to mention my many art classes. In fact, it was in A&D 105 that I learned the difference between supper and dinner, a fact that has been immensely useful. (Supper is that last meal of the day, whereas dinner is the largest meal of the day). And Ingrid Shults taught me to love drawing in A&D 113. The next semester, Professor Mahorney taught me to hate drawing in A&D 114. And Professor Parrish taught me all about chiaroscuro in A&D 227. Yes, my dear readers, education can be quite useful. Can you imagine going to an art gallery and not being able to put a name to Rembrandt's technique?

Dear readers, do you have any indispensable lessons you gleaned from your years in college that you would like to share?
Jessica 5:43 PM

1 Comments:

Good for people to know.

Add a comment

free counter
Chadwick's Discount Code