The Intuitive Reasonings of Jessica

Monday, November 19, 2007

"The Old Guitarist"

My dear, dear, beloved readers,
I have noticed a slight decrease in your numbers. On several of my posts from last year, such as the one on Picasso's "Weeping Woman", I received ten or eleven comments! Now, I am lucky to get two. Upon careful comparison of my old posts and my more recent posts, I noticed one glaring difference: I have not posted a Picasso masterpiece for months! My dear readers, I am sorry to have neglected you. I realize that the main reason many people read blogs is to enjoy intellectually stimulating visual art. Therefore, I present unto you...




dum, dum, dum...





"The Old Guitarist"!Feast your eyes, dear readers! As many of you know, this very famous painting was created during Picasso's "blue period". The paintings from Picasso's blue period are not only blue in color, but also in mood. During this time, Picasso's subject matter focused mostly on beggars, prostitutes, and drunks. This dark period in Picasso's art was triggered by the suicide of a close friend of the artist. In our hero's own words, "I started painting in blue when I learned of Casagemas's death."

One interesting thing about this astounding masterpiece is the faint image of a woman beneath the painting. It seems that Picasso, like many other artists, reused the canvas of an old painting he was dissatisfied with. I encourage you all, dear readers, to explore this magnificent painting on your own at the Chicago Institute of art.

Here is a glimpse of the mysterious woman visible under the painting, so you will all know exactly what to look for should you ever encounter this gem in real life:In other news, tomorrow I am going to skip class for a non-righteous reason for the first time in my life! Applaud me, fellow slackers! Yes, my dear readers, yours truly is skipping her 4:30 power hour on Tuesday afternoon in order to start Thanksgiving break three hours earlier.

Jessica 2:12 PM

2 Comments:

I'm not a fellow slacker, but I applaud you. I didn't want to wait til 6 to go home :-)
i've had a poster of the old guitarist in my room for a while now, and this is the first time i notice the woman.. thanks for the observation. it's hard to un-see now and gives a whole new meaning to my continued appreciation of it. check out Paul Cézanne's- The Card Players.. one of my favorite pieces :)

Add a comment

free counter
Chadwick's Discount Code